For children and young people

Growing up today can be really hard at times. Below is some information to help you keep safe and make safe choices. 

Staying safe online

Think U Know is a set of resources developed by the Child Exploitation and Online Protection (CEOP) Centre at to help educate young people, parents and teachers about safe and positive use of the internet.

Child Sexual Exploitation 

If you don’t know who turn to here are some organisations that can help [PDF].

Road safety

The NSCB has sponsored the development of a road safety film by young people in the county to highlight the importance of being alert when using the road. The short film delivers a powerful message and is available for use in schools and colleges.

Young People's pages

Get news and information on activities and events for young people provided by Nottinghamshire County Council. Website: Youth services | Nottinghamshire County Council


A free 24-hour helpline for children and young people. You can call about any problem at any time, day or night. ChildLine's counsellors are there to help you find ways to sort things out. Their website can also offer you help and advice. Tel: 08100 111; website:

Health For Teens Website

A useful website particularly designed for teenagers offering health advice:

Once on the home page please click on tab on the top of the page that says: MY AREA, then click on drop down menu: Nottinghamshire to access local information for you including:

  • Text your school nurse for confidential health advice and support – 07507 329 952
  • Get help with all kinds of things such as: healthy eating, relationships, sex, emotional health, bullying, smoking, self-harm, contraception, alcohol & drugs etc.
  • Find out the truth behind the rumours!
  • Videos
  • Quizzes

And so much more…

Self harm 

Information and advice on dealing with the urge to self-harm:


If you think that bullying is just a part of everyday school life, you're wrong. No-one deserves to be bullied and you shouldn't ignore the problem.

Private fostering

If you are under the age of 16 (18 if you’re disabled) and your parent(s) have asked someone who is not a close relative to look after you for 28 days or more, you may be in a private fostering arrangement. If this is the case the person who looks after you is called a private foster carer.

For more information about private fostering arrangements see our private fostering booklet [PDF]

Other useful websites and contacts

Children's Commissioner

The Children’s Commissioner for England's website,, covers a range of important issues for children and young people and how you can get adults to listen.

Find out about the child protection process

The child protection process helps to keep you safe. Young people have produced two leaflets that explain what it is and how it works.

If you are unhappy about the way this process has worked for you, you can complain about it. The following leaflet tells you how:

Scroll to top of page