Working with Intimidation, Resistance and Avoidance
This full day course explores the difficulties you may come across when working with parents and carers and with complex cases. It considers why parents/carers may be resistant to working with practitioners and why they might struggle with change. It also goes onto to look more closely at their behaviour such as avoidance and intimidation. It highlights the impact such behaviours may have on practitioners working with families and then looks at practical ways of working with them using authority and assertiveness skills. It is being offered via Microsoft Teams: 9.30 -12.30 & 1.30 -3.30 ( you must be able to attend both morning & afternoon session if you book onto this event). This event will be delivered by Ruth Pearson, who has 25 years’ experience in the field of child protection, who brings the training alive with many examples of practice linking in with her extensive experience .N.B. You will be sent the link and instructions on how to access the training event the week before the training date via E mail. The course is aimed at ALL practitioners who work directly with children, young people and with their families/carers.
- facilitate discussion and address concerns when working with families resistant to involvement or change
- consider lessons from research and national and local Serious Case Reviews/Child Safeguarding Practice Reviews
- assist understanding of reasons for hostility or resistance
- consider behaviours ranging from ambivalence to aggression, including ‘disguised compliance’
- address the impact on workers engaged with difficult families
- develop practical ways of working with authority and assertiveness with families to meet the needs of the child
Staff who are involved in working with Complex Cases, work directly with children and families and who regularly contribute to family assessments.
Please note as from April 1st 2020 we have implemented a new revised charging policy which may affect some organsations who do not contribute financially to the Partnership. E.g. Schools, District & Borough Councils , Fire & Rescue service. For more details please see our charging table on our training page of our website.
This course is delivered by Ruth Pearson (who has delivered other courses for the NSCP such as Neglect & Decision Making & Disguised Compliance). She has 25 years’ experience in the field of child protection, originally as a practicing social worker and subsequently as a Senior Practitioner in Child Protection. Ruth brings the training alive with many examples of practice linking in with her extensive experience.
Training Course date: Tuesday, June 8, 2021